Be aware of holiday fire dangers

The most common burn injuries over the holidays stem from cooking accidents, said Dr. Nicole Gibran of the UW Medicine Regional Burn Center at Harborview.

"People get distracted and leave their pots unattended, and that can lead to a grease fire," Gibran said. If a grease fire starts in a pan, turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid; don't try to move the pan because that increases the chances of a grease burn and structure fire, she added. 

Gibran discusses the topic in this downloadable video segment.

UW Medicine