Be aware of holiday fire dangers

December 27, 2017

Be aware of holiday fire dangers

The most common burn injuries over the holidays stem from cooking accidents, said Dr. Nicole Gibran of the UW Medicine Regional Burn Center at Harborview.

"People get distracted and leave their pots unattended, and that can lead to a grease fire," Gibran said. If a grease fire starts in a pan, turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid; don't try to move the pan because that increases the chances of a grease burn and structure fire, she added. 

Gibran discusses the topic in this downloadable video segment.


Terms of appropriate usage of file downloads

  • News reporters and news organizations may freely republish and distribute videos, still images and audio files produced by UW Medicine and the University of Washington School of Medicine.
  • Works must be attributed/credited appropriately (for example, “UW Medicine” – as denoted in the file) and must not be used for commercial purposes.
  • These visual and audio files may not be used to exploit or misrepresent UW Medicine or the University of Washington.
  • UW Medicine often licenses still images and stock video from Getty Images, but we cannot grant republishing rights. You may not republish single image files, videos or animations credited to Getty Images.
  • Logos of UW Medicine and University of Washington Health Sciences schools may not be republished without explicit permission. Contact us by phone or email: 206.543.3620 or